Learn to lead with practical practice
Members working in the leadership track learn and practice leadership skills by serving in club roles.
The Competent Leadership manual is the core of the leadership track. It features 10 projects, which you complete while serving in various club meeting roles. An evaluator will give you feedback on each project, helping you to improve. When you complete the manual, you are eligible for Competent Leader (CL) recognition. Complete the CL application in the manual and ask your vice president education (VPE) to submit it online to World Headquarters. You'll receive a CL certificate and, if you wish, World Headquarters will send your employer a letter about your accomplishment.
Advanced Leader Program
After earning the CL award you can further refine and develop your leadership skills by working in the advanced leader program. Members working in this program are eligible for Advanced Leader Bronze (ALB) and Advanced Leader Silver (ALS) recognition.
Advanced Leader Bronze (ALB)
- To be eligible for this award, a member must have:Achieved new Competent Leader award
- Achieved Competent Communicator award (or Competent Toastmaster award)
- Served at least six months as a club officer (president, vice president education, vice president membership, vice president public relations, secretary, treasurer or sergeant at arms) and participated in the preparation of a Club Success Plan while serving in this office
- While serving in the above office, participated in a district-sponsored club officer training program
Conducted any two presentations from The Successful Club Series and/or The Leadership Excellence Series
Advanced Leader Silver (ALS)
To be eligible for this award, a member must have:
- Achieved Advanced Leader Bronze award (or "old" Competent Leader award)
- Served a complete term as a district leader (district governor, lieutenant governor, public relations officer, secretary, treasurer, division governor or area governor). A complete term is defined as having served at least from September 1 through June 30. Those assuming office after September 1 do not qualify as having served a full term
- Completed the High Performance Leadership program
- Served successfully as a club sponsor, mentor or coach
To apply for either of the Advanced Leader awards, complete the appropriate section of the AL/DTM application and ask your vice president education to submit it online to World Headquarters. You'll receive a certificate and, if you wish, World Headquarters will send your employer a letter about your accomplishment.
High Performance Leadership
High Performance Leadership features five projects offering instruction and practice in such vital leadership areas as developing a vision, goal-setting and planning, developing plans and strategies, and team-building. It also gives you feedback on your leadership skills. The program may be completed within your Toastmasters club, area or district, and even within your company or community.
Perhaps you would enjoy taking on a project for your club or district while serving as an officer or committee chairman. Or, if you are an employee or supervisor in a business organization, you could do a leadership project related to the needs of your organization. Other possibilities include projects for your community, church, an association or professional group, or some other organization. Your project can be almost anything, so long as it is legal, ethical, and socially responsible, and your activities are not represented as being endorsed by Toastmasters International.
Distinguished Toastmaster (DTM)
The Distinguished Toastmaster award is the highest our organization bestows and it recognizes both communication and leadership skills. To be eligible for the award a member must have:
- Achieved Advanced Communicator Gold award (or achieved Advanced Toastmaster Gold award)
- Achieved Advanced Leader Silver award (or achieved Advanced Leader award)
To apply for the Distinguished Toastmaster award, complete the appropriate section of the AL/DTM application and ask your vice president education to submit it online to World Headquarters. You'll receive a plaque and, if you wish, World Headquarters will send a letter to your employer about your achievement.