Username:

Password:

Remember me

I forgot my password

Don't have an account yet?
You can register for FREE

My Communication

Need to ask a question?

HelpNeed to ask a question? - or could you help and answer questions?

More quotes wanted

View previous topic : View next topic  
    Printer-friendly version
easy-Speak Discussion Index  » Help Wanted

Post Post subject Re: More quotes wanted   Posted 05 Jul 06, 17:35    Reply with quote

Malcolm - I've been collecting good quotes for my business over the last few years. Here are the best ones I also have a good selection of sayings by David Brent - but not really appropriate for the website!

Regards,
Jacqui
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Being defeated is often only a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent. -- Marilyn vos Savant 1946-NA

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Far away in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach
them, but I can look up and see the beauty, believe in them and try
to follow where they lead.-- Louisa May Alcott (1832-1888) American Writer

All big things in this world are done by people who are naive and have an idea that is obviously impossible.-- Dr. Frank Richards (1875-1961) English Writer

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
-- Confucius (Chinese Philosopher) 551-479 B.C.

There are many ways to measure success; not the least of which is the way your child describes you when talking to a friend.
-- Unknown

Chuck Knox
Always have a plan, and believe in it. Nothing happens by accident.
Elbert Hubbard
Thoroughness characterizes all successful men. Genius is the art of taking infinite pains. All great achievement has been characterized by extreme care, infinite painstaking, even to the minutest detail.
Doug Evelyn
Long-range planning works best in the short term
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Few people have any next, they live from hand to mouth without a plan, and are always at the end of their line.
John Argenti
A plan is a list of actions arranged in whatever sequence is thought likely to achieve an objective.

Earl Nightingale
All you need is the plan, the road map, and the courage to press on to your destination.
Chinese Proverb
When planning for a year, plant corn. When planning for a decade, plant trees. When planning for life, train and educate people.
Ben Stein
Somewhere there is a map of how it can be done.
Jim Rohn
If you don't design your own life plan, chances are you'll fall into someone else's plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much.
George L. Morrisey
Developing the plan is actually laying out the sequence of events that have to occur for you to achieve your goal.
William A. Ward
Four steps to achievement: Plan purposefully. Prepare prayerfully. Proceed positively. Pursue persistently. Author:
Tom Landry
Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan.
Paul J. Meyer
Plan your progress carefully; hour-by hour, day-by-day, month-by-month. Organized activity and maintained enthusiasm are the wellsprings of your power.
Marcus T. Cicero
Before beginning, plan carefully.
Edward Everett Hale
If you have accomplished all that you have planned for yourself, you have not planned enough.

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
English proverb

If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.
Buddhist Proverb

Do not be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently.
Henry Ford (1863-1947)

The world of achievement has always belonged to the optimist.
J. Harold Wilkins

Nothing will ever be attempted, if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson (1709-1784) English Author

No matter who says what, you should accept it with a smile and do your own work.
Mother Teresa (1910-1997)

If I have ever made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent.
Isaac Newton (1642-1727)

"Ability is what you're capable of doing.
Motivation determines what you do.
Attitude determines how well you do it."
Lou Holtz

Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it.
Henry David Thoreau

"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out."
Robert Collier

"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success.
If you love what you are doing, you will be successful."
Albert Schweitzer

"Do a little more each day than you think you possibly can."
Lowell Thomas

"Success is doing what you want to do,
when you want, where you want,
with whom you want,
as much as you want."
Anthony Robbins

Apathy can be overcome by enthusiasm, and enthusiasm can be aroused by two things: first, an idea which takes the imagination by storm; and second, a definite, intelligible plan for carrying that idea into action.
Arnold Toynbee (1889-1975)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the ones most responsive to change.
Darwin

There is only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self.
Aldous Huxley (1864-1963) English Novelist

Innovation is the specific instrument of entrepreneurship…. the act that endows resources with a new capacity to create wealth.
Peter F Drucker

If you want to be creative in your company, your career, your life, all it takes is one easy step...the extra one. When you encounter a familiar plan, you just ask one question: "What ELSE could we do?"
Dale Dauten

Without tradition, art is a flock of sheep without a shepherd. Without innovation, it is a corpse.
Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965)

The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
Daniel J. Boorstin (1914 - )

Imagination is more important than knowledge...
Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Our imagination is the only limit to what we can hope to have in the future.
Charles F. Kettering (1876 - 1958)

Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.
George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau (1817 - 1862)

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Imagination without skill gives us modern art.
Tom Stoppard (1937 - ), "Artist Descending a Staircase"

There is nobody so irritating as somebody with less intelligence and more sense than we have.
Don Herold

To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge it, requires brains.
Mary Pettibone Poole, A Glass Eye at a Keyhole, 1938

Don't tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results.
George S. Patton (1885 - 1945)

In life, the first thing you must do is decide what you really want. Weigh the costs and the results. Are the results worthy of the costs? Then make up your mind completely and go after your goal with all your might.
Alfred A. Montapert

Management is nothing more than motivating other people.
Lee Iacocca (1924 - )

Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.
Peter Drucker

Good management is the art of making problems so interesting and their solutions so constructive that everyone wants to get to work and deal with them.
Paul Hawken, Growing a Business

"Management" means, in the last analysis, the substitution of thought for brawn and muscle, of knowledge for folklore and superstition, and of cooperation for force. . .
Peter F. Drucker, People and Performance

The key to being a good manager is keeping the people who hate me away from those who are still undecided.
Casey Stengel (1890 - 1975)

In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield.
Warren Buffett (1930 - )

They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself.
Andy Warhol (1928 - 1987), The Philosophy of Andy Warhol

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950), Man and Superman (1903) "Maxims for Revolutionists"

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
Samuel Butler (1835 - 1902), Notebooks, 1912

For you to be successful, sacrifices must be made. It's better that they are made by others but failing that, you'll have to make them yourself.
Rita Mae Brown

Seventy percent of success in life is showing up.
Woody Allen (1935 - )

The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.
Vidal Sassoon

There are two rules for success:
1) Never tell everything you know.
Roger H. Lincoln

The most successful businessman is the man who holds onto the old just as long as it is good, and grabs the new just as soon as it is better.
Robert P. Vanderpoel

Successful people are very lucky. Just ask any failure.
Michael Levine, Lessons at the Halfway Point

Risk - If one has to jump a stream and knows how wide it is, he will not jump. If he doesn't know how wide it is, he'll jump and six times out of ten he'll make it.
Persian

The greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising up every time we fall.
Confucius (551-479 BC) Chinese Philosopher

malcolmw

Site Admin

Joined Date: 2003-07-08, 19:35

Post Post subject Re: More quotes wanted   Posted 05 Jul 06, 19:09    Reply with quote

Thanks. They will be in the next upload I make to the site.

Post Post subject Re: More quotes wanted   Posted 28 Jul 06, 10:25    Reply with quote

Malcolm,

Like Jacqui I've been collecting quotations for years, for use in my presentations, speeches and writing. Here are some of my favourites, in no particular order. Few if any of them were found in quotation books.

Regards,

Paul /.

"A pupil from whom nothing is ever demanded which he cannot do, never does all he can."
- J. S. Mill, Autobiography, p26

“Ah, but a man s reach should exceed his grasp,
Or what's a heaven for?” - Browning

"If at first an idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it." – Einstein

"The art of prophesy is very difficult - especially with respect to the future."
- Mark Twain

"Unused power slips imperceptibly into the hands of another."
-Konrad Heiden, 1901 - 1975, German author

"The habit of common and continuous speech is a symptom of mental deficiency. It proceeds from not knowing what is going on in other people's minds."
- Walter Bagehot

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known."
- Carl Sagan.

"Malheur aux details, c'est une vermine qui tue les grands ouvrages"
- Voltaire

"We have no money. Therefore, we must think" - Rutherford

"The road to success is always under construction" - American bumper sticker

"One must learn by doing the thing, for though you think you know it, you have no certainty until you try." - Sophocles, 500 B.C.

"There is a certain point beyond which all researches serve no other purpose than merely to delight an inquisitive mind. Those ingenious and useless truths may be compared to stars which, being placed at too great a distance, cannot afford us the least light."
- Voltaire, Lettr. xxiv p162

"Le travail éloigne de nous trois grands maux: l'ennui, le vice et le besoin"
- Voltaire, Candide

"La plus perdue de toutes les journes est celle où l'on n'a pas ri."
- Nicolas Chamfort (1741-1794), Maximes et pensées

"The rational mind has ruined the world"
- Ismail Serageldin, Stockholm, August 1999

"The greatest thing in life is to die young - but to delay it as long as possible!"
- Isaac Stern

"Few people think more than two or three times a year; I have made an international reputation for myself by thinking once or twice a week."
- George Bernard Shaw

"The skills needed now are those of leadership, setting a personal example, achieving consensus and listening intelligently.
Sir Anthony Cleaver, president of the Institute of Management and chairman of AEA Technology plc

"Intuition isn't mystical. It's sort of a background sense of how things should work. It's facts hidden in the brain."
Dr James Watson, co-discoverer of the DNA double helix

"Gentlemen, let us learn to dream. But before we publish our dreams, let us put them to the test of waking reason." - August Kekulé (discoverer of the benzene ring)

"The barometer is swinging too far towards mechanism and academic pedantry. Businesses need to instigate a return to passion management fuelled by ethics, creativity and a sheer belief in one's product, rather than theory alone."
- Jane Frost, head of corporate and brand marketing at the BBC

"Time is the sole capital of people whose only fortune is their intelligence"
Honoré de Balzac

AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO
('Keep quite, unless your talking is better than silence')
-Dionysius

The First Law of Management: LISTEN - Dr Paul R Holmes

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?
Actually, who are you NOT to be?
You are a child of God.
Your playing small doesn't serve the world.
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won t feel insecure around you.
We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.
It's not just within some of us, it's within EVERYONE!
And as we let our own light shine we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.
- Marianne Williamson, A Return To Love
(used in Nelson Mandela's 1994 presidential inaugural speech)

"Some experience of popular lecturing had convinced me that the necessity of making things simple for uninstructed people was one of the very best means of clearing up the obscure corners of one’s own mind." T. H. Huxley (1825-95) Man's Place in Nature (1894 ed.) preface

"It is the customary fate of new truths to begin as heresies and to end as superstitions."
T. H. Huxley (1825-95) Science and Culture and Other Essays (1881): The Coming of Age of the Origin of Species

"Irrationally held truths may be more harmful than well-reasoned errors"
- T. H. Huxley (1825-95) Science and Culture and Other Essays (1881): The Coming of Age of the Origin of Species

"When you have problems and failure, don't panic, rise and do something. I have had many rises and falls in my career. A person who cannot take the blows will never succeed."
Mikhail Gorbachev

Most conversations are monologues carried on in the presence of a witness.
- Anonymous

"Every exit is an entrance somewhere"
- Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

“The price of leadership is loneliness” - Michael Aum

Leaders should be suspicious of followers who never find fault with them
- Michael Aum

The world is a looking-glass and gives back to every person a reflection of his own thoughts, beliefs and enthusiasm - Cavett Robert(1907-1997)

When you are up to your arse in hot water, you've got to stay buoyant or you're cooked.
- Paul R Holmes

"The more extensive a man's knowledge of what has been done, the greater will be his chance of knowing what to do."
- Benjamin Disraeli

"Success breeds complacency. Complacency breeds failure. Only the paranoid survive"
Andy Grove, chairman of Intel

"You have to pretend you're 100 percent sure."
Andy Grove, chairman of Intel

"One day you're a hero, the next day you're gone.” Evel Knievel

A man was driving an open sports car somewhat vigorously round the country lanes, when he had to pull up sharply for a woman driving towards him. 'Pig!' she yelled at him as they passed. 'Cow!' he replied over his shoulder, as he accelerated round the next bend, to run straight into the pig that had strayed into the road. It just goes to show, first thoughts aren't always best. - Marie Mosely

"Humour is emotional chaos remembered in tranquillity."
- James Thurber

"Wit is cultured insolence."
Aristotle

"Do not take life too seriously - you will never get out of it alive.
- E Kin Hubbard

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
- WalterBagehot

"You grow up the day you have your first real laugh - at yourself."
- Ethel Barrymore

"We spend most of our lives working. So why do so few people have a good time doing it?"
- Richard Branson

"Running a company on market research is like driving while looking in the rear window."
- Anita Roddick

"After the idea, there is plenty of time to learn the technology."
- James Dyson

"Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy only when others are fearful."
- Warren Buffett

"In order to achieve anything, you must be brave enough to fail."
- Kirk Douglas

"'Trust me, I'm a leader' should be orthodoxy ... you need eyeball to eyeball contact to generate trust ... but technology undermines our sense of how important this is ... the importance of ‘see and be seen.’
- Air Chief Marshal Sir Brian Burridge, (commander of British forces in Iraq, 2003)

Beware of false knowledge - it is more dangerous than ignorance.
- George Bernard Shaw

"Management is the delusion that you can change people. Leadership is deluding other people instead of yourself - Scott Adams (author of ‘Dilbert’)

Nothing is more demotivating than being told to do what you were going to do anyway by someone whose opinion you have little reason to respect. Almost as bad is praise from someone whose opinion you do not trust. - Paul R Holmes

"People can alter their lives by altering their attitudes."
- William James, American novelist

Let your deeds match your creeds Anonymous

"What lies behind us and what lies before are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Little minds are tamed by misfortunes but great minds rise above them."
- Washington Irving

"There is only one corner of the universe where you can be certain of improving, and that your own self. - Aldous Huxley

"Leaders aren't threatened by others who have the strengths they lack."
- Peter Drucker

"The most powerful force in the world is knowing someone believes in you, because you don't want to disappoint them."
- Cavett Robert, Leaving a Lasing Legacy

"The block of granite that is an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone, in the path of the strong." - Thomas Carlyle (1795-1891)

"The first step in the evolution of ethics is a sense of solidarity with other human beings."
- Albert Schweitzer

"There is no sadder sight than a young pessimist."
- Mark Twain

"On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Le Petit Prince

"Le bonheur de l'homme n'est pas dans la liberté, mais dans l'acceptation d'un devoir"
- André Gide, preface to Vol de Nuit by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

"I never have a humble opinion. If you have an opinion, why be humble about it?"
- Joan Baez, in an interview with David Frost, 7/3/4

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience."
-Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

"We must not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we began and to know the place for the first time."
-Thomas Stearnes Elliot

Leadership has a harder job to do than just choose sides. It must bring sides together.
- Jesse Jackson 1941-,

Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm.
- Publilius Syrus ~100 BC

Think like a wise man but communicate in the language of the people.
- William Butler Yeats 1865 - 1939

“Becoming a successful leader of men and women in a turbulent business world requires maturity and wisdom. Happily, there is no degree programme for those.”
- The Economist, 19 February 2005, Leader, page 11

‘You are not what you were born, but what you have it in yourself to be’
- Godfrey of Ibelin in Ridley Scott’s Kingdom of Heaven

Targets don’t motivate people: progress motivates people.
- Allan Leighton (chairman of Royal Mail) interviewed in Management Today, Sept. 2005

[/i]

Send private message Send e-mail   Skype ID 

Post Post subject Re: More quotes wanted   Posted 27 Sep 06, 16:56    Reply with quote

Thanks to both Malcolm and Paul for superb quotes!
Regards,
Paul van der Vliet

Send private message Send e-mail   Skype ID 
malcolmw

Site Admin

Joined Date: 2003-07-08, 19:35

Post Post subject More quotes wanted   Posted 22 Nov 07, 17:21    Reply with quote

I would like to add to the selection of quotations that are used for the random quote shown on the front page of this site.

Please e-mail suggestions to me or add them as a reply in this discussion thread in the form...

"Philosopical or humorous quatation" - Hugh Said-It

Thanks

benjaminmr

Joined Date: 2007-09-06, 20:06

Post Post subject Re: More quotes wanted   Posted 16 Apr 09, 10:48    Reply with quote

Nalukolekejaga sonda (ng’weli) walola lwala.(Sukuma)
Nilikuonyesha nyota (mwezi) na uliangalia kidole tu. (Swahili)
I pointed out to you the stars (the moon) and all you saw was the tip of my finger. (English)
http://northernbelles.wordpress.com/2009/03/07/september-24/

victorianixon

Joined Date: 2010-11-30, 12:13

Post Post subject Re: More quotes wanted   Posted 30 Nov 10, 12:22    Reply with quote

hey....that's truly nice collection. Some quotes are really good and inspired us.

“The leaders who work most effectively, it seems to me, never say 'I'. And that's not because they have trained themselves not to say 'I'. They don't think 'I'. They think 'we'; they think 'team'. They understand their job to be to make the team function. They accept responsibility and don't sidestep it, but 'we' gets the credit.... This is what creates trust, what enables you to get the task done.”

Keep sharing guys..... :)

Inspirational Motivational Speaker

lyssagale12

Joined Date: 2010-12-22, 06:26

Post Post subject Re: More quotes wanted   Posted 22 Dec 10, 06:35    Reply with quote

Literally heart touching quotes...

"Life is a school for angels. Love is the Teacher, so do your homework without fear. Death is merely graduation."

magic sing

WarrickL

Joined Date: 2016-04-06, 10:42

Post Post subject Re: More quotes wanted   Posted 06 Oct 16, 01:33    Reply with quote

Hi,

is there a place to put the quote on the agenda and printed version?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Warrick

Printer-friendly version
easy-Speak Discussion Index  » Help Wanted
Page 1 of 1

Jump to