Username:

Password:

Remember me

I forgot my password

Don't have an account yet?
You can register for FREE

My Communication

Need to ask a question?

HelpNeed to ask a question? - or could you help and answer questions?

[CLOSED] Firstname and surname overlap not allowed

View previous topic : View next topic  
    Printer-friendly version
easy-Speak Discussion Index  » Problem Reports
colinr

Joined Date: 2009-06-06, 16:54

Post Post subject [CLOSED] Firstname and surname overlap not allowed   Posted 23 Feb 11, 08:36    Reply with quote

I have just tried to introduce a visitor whose 4 character surname just happens in real life to be the same as the first four characters of his 7 character firstname. It wouldn't let me.
I can get round it by fiddling his surname, but the argument for not allowing it becuase of security doesn't seem to be particuarly cogent.
In other cultures I imagine this problem might arise even more often.
Colin Roberts
Johannesburg

fielding

Contributor

Joined Date: 2006-07-20, 19:44

Post Post subject Re: Firstname and surname overlap not allowed   Posted 23 Feb 11, 14:03    Reply with quote

I have a colleague who is names "Liu Liu". Does this mean that the system would not allow me to register him, if I were able to get him to come to the club?

KaiS

Developer

Joined Date: 2008-09-06, 21:21

Post Post subject Re: Firstname and surname overlap not allowed   Posted 23 Feb 11, 14:25    Reply with quote

Once registered with the HQ, what do you think of giving users their TMI member number as the account name?

bdaniel

Contributor

Joined Date: 2007-07-20, 16:59

Post Post subject Re: Firstname and surname overlap not allowed   Posted 23 Feb 11, 14:28    Reply with quote

Kai, what does that have to do with the issue?
Modi'in Toastmasters

KaiS

Developer

Joined Date: 2008-09-06, 21:21

Post Post subject Re: Firstname and surname overlap not allowed   Posted 23 Feb 11, 15:19    Reply with quote

Sorry, so far I have seen lastname versus first name issues only as part of the username scrutiny. Hence picking a totally different username might fix it.

If there really is another check that ignores the username, and really just checks first versus last name, then please accept my apologies for the confusion caused.

malcolmw

Site Admin

Joined Date: 2003-07-08, 19:35

Post Post subject Re: Firstname and surname overlap not allowed   Posted 23 Feb 11, 18:40    Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong with a little imagination in the choice of usernames - may favourite is co0lflame

A club standard may be handy but should not become an obstacle - and remember that names are global across the whole installation - so JohnH might not be available even if he's your only John with a surname starting 'H'

Malcolm
easy-Speak Developer
England

colinr

Joined Date: 2009-06-06, 16:54

Post Post subject Re: Firstname and surname overlap not allowed   Posted 23 Feb 11, 21:46    Reply with quote

Hi Fielding - as I read the error message that I got, it seems to me that it would not be possible for you to create a Member or Visitor record using Liu as the first name and Liu as the surname.
I got round it by entering a false surname - then it was accepted.
Not very satisfactory for the member.
What is the logic behind this check?

[References to User names in some of these posts seem to be in danger of derailing the discussion of this error message. This is NOT repeat NOT about User names. ]

Colin

karen

easySpeak guru

Joined Date: 2007-07-11, 09:54

Post Post subject Re: Firstname and surname overlap not allowed   Posted 24 Feb 11, 02:59    Reply with quote

@colinr
We got around it by introducing the following.

Name: Liu
Surname: Liu. or Liu_

To the system, she thinks the surname is different from the name.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail   Facebook ProfileTwitter Account 
fielding

Contributor

Joined Date: 2006-07-20, 19:44

Post Post subject Re: Firstname and surname overlap not allowed   Posted 24 Feb 11, 05:08    Reply with quote

If we are indeed talking about the "First or given Name:" field and "Family Name:" field, then the most this should be is a warning, not a restriction (so I see it as a bug).

If we are talking about the Username field, then there is no need to use either the first name or family name as part of the username, so the check on username is fine as it is.

malcolmw

Site Admin

Joined Date: 2003-07-08, 19:35

Post Post subject Re: Firstname and surname overlap not allowed   Posted 24 Feb 11, 22:01    Reply with quote

To give the definitive answer here and close the thread....

There is NO check between first name and family name.
If you want to register Lui Lui that is perfectly OK - (and to test it I just registered Fred Fred)

There IS a test that the family name CANNOT be included in full in the username
So you may register Lui Lui but the username CANNOT include the string 'lui'

Malcolm
easy-Speak Developer
England

Printer-friendly version
easy-Speak Discussion Index  » Problem Reports
Page 1 of 1

Jump to