Password:

Remember me

I forgot my password

Don't have an account yet?
You can register for FREE

My Communication

easy-Speak Training

Need to ask a question?

HelpNeed to ask a question? - or could you help and answer questions?

[CLOSED] Optional Expanded Rights for Roles

View previous topic : View next topic  
    Printer-friendly version
easy-Speak Discussion Index  » System Enhancements
Betty.Eisenzimmer

Joined Date: 2006-07-05, 23:57

Post Post subject [CLOSED] Optional Expanded Rights for Roles   Posted 08 Jul 07, 19:01    Reply with quote

There are a few items I would like to see altered slightly:
    Toastmaster able to edit the agenda
    "Meeting Manager" assignable to a role (i.e. Toastmaster)
    Members able to volunteer online for speeches

Extraordinaires is an advanced club that only meets once a month - and we're BIG on initiative and independence. We give long speeches - longer than the manual times. Our featured speaker, for example, will always speak for 30 to 50 minutes, regardless of which project they're doing. When the speaker is assigned, the times are overwritten in the agenda. IT would be nice if the Toastmaster (instead of just officers) could edit the agenda to correct the timing.

Additionally, our club culture has the Toastmaster choosing the theme. It would be easier if I could assign Toastmaster to be the Meeting Manager, so that I don't have to change it each month.

Finally, it would certainly expedite things if members could volunteer for speaking roles as well as other meeting roles online. Members in Extraordinaires are used to requesting s[eeches a few months out, and this would make it easier for them.

Of the three items listed, we can work around the second two, but the first one is very important to us. We really do need to be able to let the Toastmaster edit the agenda structure, as each of our meetings is slightly different. Speech lengths change, projects change, the order of events change. Our Toastmasters generally have a fairly free hand with the structure... and it would be nice to continue to let them control the structure in Easy Speak.

Thanks!

malcolmw

Site Admin

Joined Date: 2003-07-08, 19:35

Post Post subject Re: Optional Expanded Rights for Roles   Posted 08 Jul 07, 21:03    Reply with quote

When you create or edit a meeting as VPE you may assign any full member of the club to be the meeting manager.

In my home club we assign the meeting manager to the person who will be TME and leave them to assign roles, send the e-mail etc.
The system gives them access to this because they are the meeting manager.

However, the meeting manager currently does not have access to change the agenda or edit the meeting (which would be needed to change the theme)
If I create a special 'meeting manager' screen that allowed changing of the theme and the speech times would that do most of what you need?

Have you looked at getting the members to queue their own speech requests?
The speech allocation routine has a couple of choices for sort sequence when presenting the speech queue to the VPE.
There is one club that allocate the speaking slots twelve meetings ahead and each member fills the details in later. Maybe this would do what you need?

Most clubs that I speak to would suggest that members who are fastest on the keyboard taking all the slots to speak at a meeting would start a riot! Laughing

Malcolm
easy-Speak Developer
England

Pamela.Wells

Joined Date: 2007-05-24, 17:37

Post Post subject Re: Optional Expanded Rights for Roles   Posted 12 Jul 07, 00:12    Reply with quote

Letting the Meeting Manager edit the speech times and theme would solve a large part of the problem. Letting them edit agenda would be ideal... but I can work around it. The Extraordinaires usually have 1 featured speaker and 3 additional speakers. The speech times are usually 40 to 50 for featured and 10 to 15 for the other three. Occassionally however, someone will request 30 minutes, and we'll only have 2 speakers instead of 3.

I saw that someone else requested the ability to change the agenda on the fly, and have Easy Speak automatically reassign the "same" roles. This would work for me in addition to letting the Meeting Manager edit the theme and the speech times. Then I can preset templates for 4, 3, and 2 speeches, and we can adjust as we go.

MCross2007

Joined Date: 2007-08-01, 11:08

Post Post subject Re: Optional Expanded Rights for Roles   Posted 08 Aug 07, 23:38    Reply with quote

malcolmw wrote:
When you create or edit a meeting as VPE you may assign any full member of the club to be the meeting manager.

In my home club we assign the meeting manager to the person who will be TME and leave them to assign roles, send the e-mail etc.
The system gives them access to this because they are the meeting manager.

However, the meeting manager currently does not have access to change the agenda or edit the meeting (which would be needed to change the theme)
If I create a special 'meeting manager' screen that allowed changing of the theme and the speech times would that do most of what you need?

Hi Malcolm,

I have been noticing some similar issues myself.
I would like to be able to allocate the role of Meeting Manager to the Toastmaster/Chairperson for the meeting however this appears to deny me the option of being able to delete the post later if required. As both webmaster and VPEd for my club it would be good if I could retain this option. The main reason for doing this is to change the meeting to a different agenda template when the format changes significantly but I expect there will be other reasons that might arise.

I like the sound of the meeting manager screen, this functionality would be very welcome.

Thanks,

Mark Cross
Mt. Vic Toastmasters.

malcolmw

Site Admin

Post Post subject Re: Optional Expanded Rights for Roles   Posted 09 Aug 07, 00:33    Reply with quote

Assigning the meeting manager to another club member should not effect the ability of the VPE to work on the meeting (or any other club officer where the officer settings in the Club Control Panel give these permissions).

I've just tested that - and it seems to work as designed - so if you are experiencing something different please send me the detail by e-mail and I'll investigate.

Kind regards

Malcolm

Malcolm
easy-Speak Developer
England

MCross2007

Joined Date: 2007-08-01, 11:08

Post Post subject Re: Optional Expanded Rights for Roles   Posted 23 Aug 07, 13:55    Reply with quote

Hi Malcolm.

As it happened, I found a workaround.

When I as VP Ed try to delete an event that someone else created (or at least has someone else as manager) I am told that I can only delete my own posts.

Fortunately I am able to "edit" the event and set a new meeting manager, ie: myself and then delete the event.

Easy as pie.

Mark

malcolmw

Site Admin

Post Post subject Re: Optional Expanded Rights for Roles   Posted 15 Sep 07, 23:04    Reply with quote

Version 2.2n includes an option in the Club Control Panel that will cause the TME to be set automatically as the Meeting Manager.
(This will happen when the TME role is assigned (or if the club allows members to volunteer for the TME role the volunteer will become Meeting Manager too)

I also fixed the bug that stopped the VPE from deleting a meeting where someone else was assigned as Meeting Manager.

These changes will go live in the next few days.
I'll include the special 'Meeting Manager' screen if I'm able to complete it in time.

Malcolm
easy-Speak Developer
England

malcolmw

Site Admin

Post Post subject Re: Optional Expanded Rights for Roles   Posted 16 Sep 07, 23:25    Reply with quote

I've just installed this update.

New switches in the Club Control Panel allow the club to say that:
    The TME will always be the Meeting Manager
    The Meeting Manager may edit the agenda theme (and timings)

The meeting theme is now shown on the edit_agenda screen and a modified version of this screen offered to Meeting Managers where the club has permitted this.

Have fun

Malcolm

Malcolm
easy-Speak Developer
England

bdaniel

Contributor

Joined Date: 2007-07-20, 16:59

Post Post subject Re: Optional Expanded Rights for Roles   Posted 09 Oct 07, 21:16    Reply with quote

Can a field be added as well for Word of the Day, or can we allow the Meeting Manager to edit the meeting's description?

Thanks!

Printer-friendly version
easy-Speak Discussion Index  » System Enhancements
Page 1 of 1

Jump to