Password:

Remember me

I forgot my password

Don't have an account yet?
You can register for FREE

My Communication

easy-Speak Training

Need to ask a question?

HelpNeed to ask a question? - or could you help and answer questions?

Remove distinction of Educational vs Manual Speech

View previous topic : View next topic  
    Printer-friendly version
easy-Speak Discussion Index  » System Enhancements
shakapuppy

Joined Date: 2011-06-23, 07:08

Post Post subject Remove distinction of Educational vs Manual Speech   Posted 14 Jan 12, 07:23    Reply with quote

The list of workbooks that is available for speech import is bigger than the list of workbooks available

from the request a speech panel.

Specifically, the Better Speaker Series and the Leadershipship Series to name a few.

Also, is there a setting to filter out the workbooks in languages that aren't useful for our members?

malcolmw

Site Admin

Joined Date: 2003-07-08, 19:35

Post Post subject Re: List of Workbooks Don't Match?   Posted 14 Jan 12, 10:46    Reply with quote

Better Speaker Series and the Leadershipship Series are from the Leadership track so you can only use those when booking an Educational assignment (i.e. an 'Educational' NOT a 'Speaker' on the agenda)

No language filter at present but the area needs some future thought to allow selection of the VERSION of any advanced manual

Malcolm
easy-Speak Developer
England

shakapuppy

Post Post subject Re: List of Workbooks Don't Match?   Posted 18 Jan 12, 01:16    Reply with quote

Hmm, okay.  We don't make the distinction between "speaker" and "educational" speeches.  

Our agenda would have 3 speakers -- and they would get one of the slots regardless of whether it was deemed an educational

speech or not.

I've not seen any clubs here locally make that distinction.  Especially as those types of speeches are also required for

the ACS and ACG awards.

Because of this distinction, we need use a different agenda in order to schedule the speeches that might be educational?

Maybe we are weird, but perhaps getting a poll of more clubs to determine the ease of scheduling for those types of speeches if it were all combined?

bdaniel

Contributor

Joined Date: 2007-07-20, 16:59

Post Post subject Re: Remove distinction of Educational vs Manual Speech   Posted 22 Jan 12, 05:35    Reply with quote

I'm not aware of any club that makes the distinction, but that's because us humans are so much more flexible than computers.

I'll agree it would be a nice thing to do, but keep in mind that how an educational presentation is tracked, both on easy-speak and at the club, is significantly different than how a regular speech is handled. Yes, it would be nice to automagically incorporate the handling, and I have no objection if the development team actually goes ahead and does it. I just wanted to point out that it's nowhere near as simple a task to do as one may imagine offhand.

posb

Site Admin

Joined Date: 2011-01-18, 21:15

Post Post subject Re: Remove distinction of Educational vs Manual Speech   Posted 22 Jan 12, 11:24    Reply with quote

hmmm - well it depends what w are talking about here Daniel.  When we rewrote the meeting screen a couple of years ago, we originally had it so that you could put any type of speech into any type of speaker's slot.  There are actually filters in place to enforce the logic that only an educational speech can be booked into an educational slot and vice versa - so its actually harder to have it the way it is now than to make it flexible.

This is becuase of course the tracking of the speech type itself is not done at the meeting / agenda level - its jsut a flag on on the Manual and is quite independent of the role definition.

On the other hand .... the system is currently the way it is becuase it is our belief that educationals are not treated the same at the club level - for example they may not be evaluated, or may be placed at a different place in the agenda than normal speeches.  If this is the case, then the automagical part becomes much more difficult - we'd be talking about manimulating the agenda order, or changing the agenda template in the background when an educational speech was added or removed from a meeting - and THAT we wouldn't want to go near!!

We'd be interested in hearing from other clubs out there...

shakapuppy

Post Post subject Re: Remove distinction of Educational vs Manual Speech   Posted 22 Jan 12, 21:07    Reply with quote

I did find a work around that at the moment gets me around the issue.

My biggest issue was trying to add the new workbooks to the member history, so that an educational speech could be selected.

Given the guidance provided, I temporarily added an "educational" item to my agenda, slotted my member, then added

the appropriate workbooks (Successful Club Series, Better Speaker Series & Leadership Excellence series).

Once the member has the workbooks associated with their history, I can now use a normal speaking slot on my Template agenda

to schedule the educational speech.

Now, according to the discussion on how this is filtered, it seems that I shouldn't be able to do this, but I'm very glad that I can! Wink

posb

Site Admin

Joined Date: 2011-01-18, 21:15

Post Post subject Re: Remove distinction of Educational vs Manual Speech   Posted 26 Jan 12, 01:42    Reply with quote

You are correct in that you shouldn't be able to do this! Tongue out

For future info, you need not have gone to quite so much effort in starting the new workbook though.  Requesting a speech from anything other than a meeting will allow you to start any workbook - educational or otherwise.  So for example, you could have jst requested a speech from the [Communications Chart], or from the right hand side of [Schedule Speeches], or by going to the users [Communicator Progress] and requesting from there.

Hope that helps!

ToastmasterDave

Joined Date: 2011-08-18, 01:14

Post Post subject Re: Remove distinction of Educational vs Manual Speech   Posted 12 Jul 12, 23:04    Reply with quote

This looks like exactly the topic I came here for.  Count us as another club (just down the road from you, Paul) that makes no distinction between manual and educational speeches.  And, of course, they're still required for communications awards as well as leadership awards.  I have a feeling most speeches are scheduled from the meeting screen, so it would be nice to be able to start one of the series there, as well.

(We just started using Easy-Speak clubwide, and I don't want to confuse the members by giving them too many options from the start.  It's enough of a challenge to get them to actually log in and do the work themselves!)

Printer-friendly version
easy-Speak Discussion Index  » System Enhancements
Page 1 of 1

Jump to