Password:

Remember me

I forgot my password

Don't have an account yet?
You can register for FREE

My Communication

easy-Speak Training

Need to ask a question?

HelpNeed to ask a question? - or could you help and answer questions?

Login and reset password not working

View previous topic : View next topic  
    Printer-friendly version
easy-Speak Discussion Index  » Problem Reports
nadineb

Joined Date: 2012-01-09, 11:08

Post Post subject Login and reset password not working   Posted 18 Apr 12, 20:23    Reply with quote

Hello,

One of our members - userid "michaeld" has tried several times to login unsuccessfully; when even reset his password (several times) and I physically tried loggining him in myself with no succeess. We checked cap lock and num lock buttons...just in case it was operator error but nothing seems to be working.

Can you please let me know what could be the issue.

Thanks,

Nadine 

kitb

Site Admin

Joined Date: 2007-07-17, 00:07

Post Post subject Re: Login and reset password not working   Posted 18 Apr 12, 21:42    Reply with quote

Hi,

I have had a look at the record for michael and see nothing wrong. Please could you tell me what happens when he tries to log-in, i.e. what is the error message?

Thanks,

Kit.

nadineb

Joined Date: 2012-01-09, 11:08

Post Post subject Re: Login and reset password not working   Posted 19 Apr 12, 18:20    Reply with quote

Hi Kit,

I reset Micahel's password and he set me the login details so I could explain what is (or isn't as the case may be) happening.

When I entered his new password in it said that the account was locked from trying to be accessed to many times...when I input the correct activation code I was directed to the login page. I directly copied and pasted the information recieved in the 'reset' e-mail and I was told I had entered the incorrect information...which is the same result Michael has gotten the last 10 times we tried.

I have attacheda copy of the screen shot below.

Very Strange!

What do you make of this?

Thanks,

Nadine

michaeld.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  73.39 KB
 Viewed:  1988 Time(s) files/michaeld_169.png

michaeld.png

kitb

Site Admin

Joined Date: 2007-07-17, 00:07

Post Post subject Re: Login and reset password not working   Posted 19 Apr 12, 21:14    Reply with quote

Hi,

I have reset the password and sucessfully logged in using it.

I will mail the new password to you and him.

Kit.

malcolmw

Site Admin

Joined Date: 2003-07-08, 19:35

Post Post subject Re: Login and reset password not working   Posted 21 Apr 12, 22:44    Reply with quote

The most common problem here is thet the user ignores the big red message in the e-mail telling them to click on the link to action the password change.
NOTHING is changed until that happens - so, if you don't click on the link there's no point in trying to use those credentials.

When you DO click on the link you are logged in automatically

Malcolm
easy-Speak Developer
England

DanielDoh

easy-Speak tester

Joined Date: 2010-01-14, 06:15

Post Post subject Re: Login and reset password not working - solution?   Posted 30 May 12, 19:31    Reply with quote

I have three observations regarding this issue.

1) If I, as club site admin, walk through the process with the member (rather than just sending instructions), we usually find a missing or incorrect step that gets resloved by us working together.

2) The last time I did this...When I  requested a password change and clicked on the link in the email, I got a manual login screen, but when another member  requested a password and clicked on the link, they got loged in automatically.

3) After requesting a new password...When I went to my profile to change the password, the current password field was blank. When the other member went to their profile to change the password, the current password field was populated with a password, but it was not the new one because it generated an "incorrect password" error. The solution was to paste the newly sent password into the current password field, then enter the desired password in the new password fields.

We both use Firefox. I have cookie restrictions and do not allow Firefox to save my passwords. The other member allows Firefox to save passwords. If there are no differences our account setups (DanielDoh vs maneal), I wonder if the browser populated the field with an old password, and if this may be the problem others are encountering. You can't tell because only dots are displayed. Therefore I'd recomend pasting the emailed password into "current password" to be sure it is correct.

malcolmw

Site Admin

Joined Date: 2003-07-08, 19:35

Post Post subject Re: Login and reset password not working   Posted 31 May 12, 06:36    Reply with quote

You are correct Daniel, there is an issue that Firefox will attempt to populate any field which is designated as a password with its own understanding of the value to enter for that site.
It does the same thing for e-mail address, which is more visible, and that's the main resaon that I no longer use Firefox as my browser of choice in production. We still use it extensively in testing though.

Malcolm
easy-Speak Developer
England

Printer-friendly version
easy-Speak Discussion Index  » Problem Reports
Page 1 of 1

Jump to