Username:

Password:

Remember me

I forgot my password

Don't have an account yet?
You can register for FREE

My Communication

Need to ask a question?

HelpNeed to ask a question? - or could you help and answer questions?

Find a Club, Search Clubs, Select Club, Neighboring Clubs...

View previous topic : View next topic  
    Printer-friendly version
easy-Speak Discussion Index  » System Enhancements
PaulO

Developer

Joined Date: 2009-07-20, 21:22

Post Post subject Find a Club, Search Clubs, Select Club, Neighboring Clubs...   Posted 26 Jul 09, 00:14    Reply with quote

There are many ways to find a club in Easy-Speak. If I were to do this again...(sic)...I'd create a single page where all the links to 'find a club' would end up. My page would probably have these (currently exisitng) components:

Search for a Club (text entry to search by address, name etc)
Neighbouring clubs (based on the users current club focus)
Maps (as above)

Here is what I mean...

Any time a user wanted to find a club, or a neighbouring club, or anything they would land here.

Where Leaders Are Made
Phone: +1 425-605-7707
www.toastmasters.org
www.d2tm.org

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit their website Skype IDAIM Address
karen

easySpeak guru

Joined Date: 2007-07-11, 09:54

Post Post subject Re: Find a Club, Search Clubs, Select Club, Neighboring Club   Posted 28 Jul 09, 04:34    Reply with quote

Hi! Paul,
Your suggestion is good!

My only concern is that as Hong Kong is such a compact city, when only 15-16 Clubs are active easy-Speak users, the map will become pretty crowded. In Hong Kong, we have about 40 Clubs.

Neighbouring Clubs (I chose those clubs within 50km and it has already covered ALL those active users and even one in Macau)
https://easy-speak.org/neardata.php?c=336

Food for thought.

Thanks and cheers,
Karen Chow
Co VPE
Victoria Toastmasters Club

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail   Facebook ProfileTwitter Account 
PaulO

Developer

Post Post subject Re: Find a Club, Search Clubs, Select Club, Neighboring Club   Posted 28 Jul 09, 05:43    Reply with quote

Hi Karen...yes - there are LOADS of Toastmaster clubs around Seattle too - (though ours is the best of course ! Smile ). I was just trying to find some ways to simplify the application, and combining these three similar features into one seemed to make sense to me..... Easy-Speak has got loads of functionality, but sometime that might get in the way of people using it to do what they need to do ... so what do you think - is that a problem for your members? (too MANY features?)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit their website Skype IDAIM Address
karen

easySpeak guru

Post Post subject Re: Find a Club, Search Clubs, Select Club, Neighboring Club   Posted 28 Jul 09, 09:19    Reply with quote

Hi! Paul,
Yes, what you said is correct. There are too many features in easy-Speak but luckily we are not very aggressive as we encourage our members to use some basic features only. e.g.
- say "yes" or "no" to attendance
- choose their favourite roles except for speakers, GE and President/Acting President
- [Optional] book a speech [N.B. VPE can help them book a speech as necessary.]
- [Optional] send indivdual emails to other members of the Club.

I am a bit self-centred. I'll prefer to promote my own Club through easy-Speak given limited resources and time.

For example, here comes a map generated by easy-Speak for our regular meeting venue.
https://easy-speak.org/portal.php?page=4&p=(22.283358,114.192894),16&m=(22.283358,114.192894)

One of our neighbouring Clubs is using the same but she has used another map instead.
http://dynamic.freetoasthost.info/files/map_big.jpg

I will go for her way of handling the map as this makes visitors/ potential members less confused when two Clubs are using the same venue.

Anyway, my 2 cents only.

Thanks and cheers,
Karen Chow
Co VPE
Victoria Toastmasters Club

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail   Facebook ProfileTwitter Account 
PaulO

Developer

Post Post subject Re: Find a Club, Search Clubs, Select Club, Neighboring Club   Posted 28 Jul 09, 12:16    Reply with quote

Hi Karen - you are very funny !! Very Happy Malcolm is of course very heavily involved in the District Level, so I guess he is not so "selfish" as you and me!! If it were up to me, anyone who 'searches' for a Club in Seattle would only see our club!! Smile. Actually speaking a bit more seriously, I would not expect potential visitors to use the "Find a Club - maps" link (the one you refer to in your post) to get directions to our club. See how I deal with the same on Easy-Speak - this is an embedded Google map, of course, which we've easily incorporated right into Easy-Speak (ask me how!). Essentially the same page is also on our freetoasthost site (which we are probably moving away from, to go to E-S) . However, its the printed version that REALLY shows that when it comes to Toastmasters in Redmond, then there is no other place to go to !!! Smile.

Toastmaster's International has a feature to "find a Club near You", which I'd personally use to actually find a club if I ever wanted to go to another one (eg: an Advanced Club). The reason for searching for a Club on Easy-Speak is maybe more valid if, like Malcolm, your whole division is using E-S. I agree its not such a big requirement for us other folks on the public instance of E-S. However, if you look at Easy-Speak you will see lots of places to search for clubs. I think that is one of my points! - maybe we don't need so many ways or places to search for Clubs on Easy-Speak!!! - and that was one of the reasons for starting this topic!

Your first comment though is really interesting:
Quote:
we encourage our members to use some basic features only. e.g.
- say "yes" or "no" to attendance
- choose their favourite roles except for speakers, GE and President/Acting President
- [Optional] book a speech [N.B. VPE can help them book a speech as necessary.]
- [Optional] send indivdual emails to other members of the Club.

It really belongs to the Navigation topic, so I'll discuss it there...

Where Leaders Are Made
Phone: +1 425-605-7707
www.toastmasters.org
www.d2tm.org

PaulO

Developer

Post Post subject Re: Find a Club, Search Clubs, Select Club, Neighboring Club   Posted 28 Jul 09, 19:07    Reply with quote

Silly me!! I forgot that the reason why I'm using google maps within Easy-Speak right now is that there is a small glitch with the "Maps2" block in the IM Portal....otherwise, E-S supports the features described above "out-of-the-box" - my apologies for any confusion...

karen

easySpeak guru

Post Post subject Re: Find a Club, Search Clubs, Select Club, Neighboring Club   Posted 28 Jul 09, 20:20    Reply with quote

Hi! Paul,
Again need to digest it before I post any comments.

Once again thanks for your initiative to make easy-Speak more user-friendly.

Thanks and cheers,
Karen

karen

easySpeak guru

Post Post subject Re: Find a Club, Search Clubs, Select Club, Neighboring Club   Posted 29 Jul 09, 16:51    Reply with quote

Nothing to add on my side. I think it is a good system enhancement in the long run.

Thanks and cheers,
Karen

Printer-friendly version
easy-Speak Discussion Index  » System Enhancements
Page 1 of 1

Jump to