Username:

Password:

Remember me

I forgot my password

Don't have an account yet?
You can register for FREE

My Communication

Need to ask a question?

HelpNeed to ask a question? - or could you help and answer questions?

Help Potential Visitors Find Our Club?

View previous topic : View next topic  
    Printer-friendly version
easy-Speak Discussion Index  » How do I....?
jactar

easySpeak guru

Joined Date: 2011-06-25, 06:21

Post Post subject Help Potential Visitors Find Our Club?   Posted 15 Oct 11, 00:40    Reply with quote

Now that we've completely switched over to easy-Speak for our club's database and front page, I want to make sure that people who search for  the words "Toastmasters" and "Pflugerville" will find us.  Any suggestions on what I should do to ensure it shows up high on the list of search engines?  Currently, the first link on Google is our old page at FTH (which will still be there for a few months), but I'd like to make sure that this isn't an issue when it goes away.

Thanks,

Cindy

malcolmw

Site Admin

Joined Date: 2003-07-08, 19:35

Post Post subject Re: Help Potential Visitors Find Our Club?   Posted 16 Oct 11, 18:45    Reply with quote

A few random thoughts:

Be sure to put a redirection on your old FTH site to send Google across to http://arthurstorer.easy-speak.org 

Use a title on the free text items you have on your front page here to replace 'Free Text'

I would probably take the text items you have on the first page into your blog on the second page and be sure to keep posting interesting content in your blog to keep it current and changing

Then maybe put some semi-permanent PR content about your club, why it's so good, what people gain from joining etc etc into the free text areas on your front page, making sure that Toastmasters and Pflugerville are mentioned in the content and titles.

Get all your members to 'like' your pages in Facebook and the equivalent in Linkedin etc etc 

FYI
Here is a comment on redirection made by Susan Ellsworth in the LinkedIn discussion on the subject 'FreeToastHost 2.0 is coming / the DEATH of FreeToastHost 1.0'

Here is a Wikipedia article about the "301 redirect"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/URL_redirection

There is more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_301

Basically, the idea is to push end users away from a site that no longer actually exists but may nevertheless show up in a Google search. Google collects links to sites and keeps them in its own storehouse (a "cache") and reports those sites to you when you do a search---even though the site may have been taken down the day before.

Malcolm
easy-Speak Developer
England

Printer-friendly version
easy-Speak Discussion Index  » How do I....?
Page 1 of 1

Jump to