Password:

Remember me

I forgot my password

Don't have an account yet?
You can register for FREE

My Communication

easy-Speak Training

Need to ask a question?

HelpNeed to ask a question? - or could you help and answer questions?

Apply newly revised agenda to the next meeting

View previous topic : View next topic  
    Printer-friendly version
easy-Speak Discussion Index  » How do I....?
suzlynch

Joined Date: 2008-05-14, 00:20

Post Post subject Apply newly revised agenda to the next meeting   Posted 18 Jun 08, 04:26    Reply with quote

I revised a meeting template I created for our club (Four Cornerz 2 speakers) but the changes won't apply to the next meeting for June 24th. I've booked meetings out until August and was hoping that revising the template would update the meetings.

I also tried to update the meeting using the edit button but it says Agenda already created. I guess I could delete and re-add the meetings, just trying to avoid that. Any ideas?
Thanks!
Suzanne

P.S. - we love this site, makes life soooo much easier!! :)

malcolmw

Site Admin

Joined Date: 2003-07-08, 19:35

Post Post subject Re: Apply newly revised agenda to the next meeting   Posted 18 Jun 08, 09:55    Reply with quote

This is an area that could do with improvement and is on the list to get some programming attention.

At the moment you cannot make a mass change to the meeting structure after it has been created - the only choice is to make the changes to individual meetings which becomes very tiresome in a hurry.
Best choice is only to create the meeting agenda when you are confident that this will be a contest or three speech meeting or whatever...
(Create the meetings early but don't put the agenda in place)

However, I was able to help you out with your future meetings by removing the agenda structure for each of them with a database utility.
I left the attendance information in place so the forward planners who have pre-advised their vacation won't feel that they were wasting their time to post that.

HTH

Malcolm

Malcolm
easy-Speak Developer
England

bdaniel

Contributor

Joined Date: 2007-07-20, 16:59

Post Post subject Re: Apply newly revised agenda to the next meeting   Posted 18 Jun 08, 15:03    Reply with quote

I look forward to an ability to do this. We've been using the site for a while, so our agendas are pretty stable, but every now and then there's a tweak that needs to be done... and we do book meetings two or three months in advance, in order to be able to schedule speeches (which requires choosing an agenda). The last time we made a change, I ended up doing a just-in-time adjustment to each agenda for several weeks until we caught up.

Speaking of which, while the agenda editor can do with some significant improvements, I don't know how realistic it is to get that done anytime soon. How about doing something with a spreadsheet / csv file, to allow creating and editing agendas offline, which could then be uploaded and imported, like with members and speeches for new clubs? For agenda changes that involve more than renaming a role (e.g., when we moved our table topics session to be after the speeches instead of before), which may require several clicks, several page reloads, etc, I think this may be much easier to work with, and would probably be much easier to implement in the short term.

malcolmw

Site Admin

Post Post subject Re: Apply newly revised agenda to the next meeting   Posted 18 Jun 08, 15:33    Reply with quote

Thanks Daniel - good suggestion as always.

However, the challenges of uploading an agenda spreadsheet would be very significant.
Internally the agenda uses nine data tables linked together with keys that are only meaningful to a computer program.
It would be a very complex spreadsheet that could replicate that in a form that was not easily broken by the user and the alternative of validating/correcting/validating the upload would likely be more frustrating than the current agenda editor!

The current structure is very efficient but doesn't lend itself to an import. Crying or Very sad

The next software release will be a significant one with an ability to upload files to the club discussion forum (local policies, minutes etc).
This is almost completed and tested (just some club space quota issues to resolve).

I'll plan to add in this release an ability to 'swop' a different template from the one currently used for a meeting.
That should be a big help in these circumstances - the other agenda edit changes will be more time consuming and come later

M

Malcolm
easy-Speak Developer
England

bdaniel

Contributor

Joined Date: 2007-07-20, 16:59

Post Post subject Re: Apply newly revised agenda to the next meeting   Posted 18 Jun 08, 19:58    Reply with quote

Hm, either I need to peek at the underlying database, or try to improve my omniscience skills. Smile I work on databases for a living, so I understand what you mean.

Can I ask what you have in mind for the eventual rework of the agenda editing part of the site? Also, what sort of things would you need to help out with that? I don't expect to have much time to contribute myself (not with a second child arriving in a few weeks), but I can ask some of my club members if they'd give it a shot. Maybe if I pitch it as assisting with the club website, eligible for CL 6... Smile

malcolmw

Site Admin

Post Post subject Re: Apply newly revised agenda to the next meeting   Posted 18 Jun 08, 20:40    Reply with quote

The 'swop a template' functionality was easier than I thought and I should have it wrapped up this evening.
Just need to sort out an issue with moving the assigned speeches links across from the old agenda to the new one and run some more tests.

What I have in mind for the new edit agenda screen is a possibility to select and move/delete blocks of lines at one hit rather than the pain of moving one line up or down repeatedly to get it in the correct place. (Moving TT before or after the break is a serious timewaster at the moment.)

I also though to have functionality to add/delete a speaker and have the program take care of all the lines that go with that but the 'swop' routine takes care of it in a more elegant way so that may not be needed any more.

I put out a request some time ago for other Toastmasters to join the development team and am embarrassed to say that, apart for some initial explanations and providing access to the source code, I didn't yet follow through with making it happen.
The long term plan is to make an open source project of it.

D59 have their own installation and have been promoting the system very hard in recent months.
Following presentations and workshops at their last conference they now have several people lined up for the development and translation teams. We have a conference call planned for next week so I think we may get moving on it fairly soon.

The technical parts are common for open source - PHP, MYSQL and HTML/CSS through a templating system.

Kind regards

Malcolm

Malcolm
easy-Speak Developer
England

Printer-friendly version
easy-Speak Discussion Index  » How do I....?
Page 1 of 1

Jump to