Have you considered the excellent PR opportunities of Club, Area and Division Speech and Topics Contests ?
There are many ways you can make good use of these events to gain good PR, bring non-Toastmasters into the Club and perhaps even help to cover the cost of hosting the Contest.
1) Advertise the Contest outside of Toastmasters
2) Invite representatives of other Clubs or Socities to attend for the evening.
3) Invite a member of the local Press to come along and photograph the Contestants and of course the Winners.
4) Write a piece for the Parish Newsletter, Paper or even Radio on how TM Members have gained the courage to not just speak but to face their fears and compete in front of large groups of people.
5) Try to get an interview with the Winner on Local Radio.
And of course on the night do make sure that you have some PR material, contact nos, meeting dates etc for any guests that may come along.
Finally make sure your VP Membership has a good supply of membership forms just in case !
Remember this is a chance to showcase your Club, Area or Division's best speakers. And it's undoubtedly an entertaining evening even for the non Toastmaster.