Password:

Remember me

I forgot my password

Don't have an account yet?
You can register for FREE

My Communication

easy-Speak Training

Need to ask a question?

HelpNeed to ask a question? - or could you help and answer questions?

Embed a video in my club's homepage

View previous topic : View next topic  
    Printer-friendly version
easy-Speak Discussion Index  » How do I....?
TLucy

Joined Date: 2015-05-01, 00:00

Post Post subject Embed a video in my club's homepage   Posted 09 Jan 18, 19:49    Reply with quote

I've found a video that gives an overview of Toastmasters. I'd like to post it on my club's e-s homepage but don't see a checkbox for that. Am I to assume it isn't possible to do this with e-s? If not, how do I put the video on the page?

malcolmw

Site Admin

Joined Date: 2003-07-08, 19:35

Post Post subject Re: Embed a video in my club's homepage   Posted 10 Jan 18, 00:08    Reply with quote

You can add embedded video - use the icon on the editor button bar 'insert/edit embedded media'

But I would NOT do that on the home page which you want to be short, brief and to load quickly

It's best never to have more on a page than can be read without the user having to scroll - most people won't bother and Googlebot will mark you down.
In particular, the front page needs to be short, snappy, and load quickly so it's a bad move to include video, maps or a contact form on it.
Use it to attract their attention and lead them to content on other pages 

You have multiple pages to work with.
You can also add pages if you need 

More here: 

Managing the website for your Club  How to edit the pages of your website and add new pages.

Malcolm
easy-Speak Developer
England

TLucy

Post Post subject Re: Embed a video in my club's homepage   Posted 12 Jan 18, 02:11    Reply with quote

I think I'm missing something here. I know what button you're talking about (with 2 grayed-out buttons between the smiles button and insert/ edit embedded media), but I don't see it when I'm editing a page that I created. I want this video to be visible to the public and I don't see how to make a page that has access to this button.

malcolmw

Site Admin

Post Post subject Re: Embed a video in my club's homepage   Posted 12 Jan 18, 19:07    Reply with quote

Use the insert/edit embedded media button

On the General tab, Use iframe as the type, enter the url on that tab and give it a sensible size.

You probably don't need to use the advanced or source tabs

General

x    

Malcolm
easy-Speak Developer
England

TLucy

Post Post subject Re: Embed a video in my club's homepage   Posted 13 Jan 18, 01:35    Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed answer, but it seems I've failed to make myself clear.

When I am making a new page I can't see the menu that has the "insert/ edit media" button. Nor do I see the accompanying buttons for (for example) "bold," or "copy," or any of the other buttons immediately above the text box I'm presently using. Is there a way to activate this menu when I am editing a page?

malcolmw

Site Admin

Post Post subject Re: Embed a video in my club's homepage   Posted 13 Jan 18, 11:20    Reply with quote

OK, now I understand.

Create your new page and add a free text box

Edit the title etc of that and close the page editor

In the text box, use the editor to add your preferred words and the embedded video

You will in future be able to edit the content of that box without changing the page layout

Malcolm
easy-Speak Developer
England

TLucy

Post Post subject Re: Embed a video in my club's page   Posted 13 Jan 18, 19:43    Reply with quote

Ok, now I have thankfully finally made some progress.

Now I have a blank region where I want the video to be. When I edit the text box there's a light orange box with nothing in it where I want the video to be.

I greatly appreciate your patience with me.

malcolmw

Site Admin

Post Post subject Re: Embed a video in my club's homepage   Posted 13 Jan 18, 20:05    Reply with quote

I edited the data for you (you needed to select 'Share on YouTube and then grab the link from 'Embed')

Malcolm
easy-Speak Developer
England

Printer-friendly version
easy-Speak Discussion Index  » How do I....?
Page 1 of 1

Jump to